Wilkes-Barre Times Leader
U.S. Rep. Lou Barletta, PA-11, announced the students from the 11th District who he is nominating to the United States service academies.
“Students who seek a nomination to the service academies of the United States choose to pursue challenging academic courses combined with a high level of discipline and personal responsibility. The students who sought nominations from my office were highly qualified, and all should be pleased with their accomplishments,” Barletta said in a release. “I’m proud to nominate these students to our nation’s service academies, and I wish them success as they move on to the next level.”
Nominated students are:
U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
- Griffin Gerchman, son of Mark and Elizabeth Gerchman of Dunmore, a student at Dunmore High School;
- Greg Daly, son of Thomas and Linda Daly of Saylorsburg, a student at Pleasant Valley High School;
- Richard Smith, son of Richard and Lisa Smith of Summit Hill, a student at Panther Valley High School;
- Brandon Quinones, son of Leonel and Janet Quinones of Blakeslee, a student at Pocono Mountain West High School;
- Joseph Lanning, son of Susan Lanning of Laflin, a student at James M. Coughlin High School;
- Patrick Gerrity, son of Gerard and Mary Ann Gerrity of Scranton, a student at West Scranton High School;
- Michael Dubinski, son of Joseph and Darlene Dubinski of Hanover Township, a student at Holy Redeemer High School.
U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
- Zachary Coleman, son of LeRoy and Amy Coleman of Lehighton, a student at Lehighton Area High School and Pittsburg University;
- MacKenzie Tasetano, son of Frank and Kathi Tasetano of Stroudsburg, a student at Stroudsburg High School;
- Alivia Womelsdorf, daughter of David and Lori Womelsdorf of Benton, a student at Northwest Area High School;
- James Chimola, son of James and Beth Chimola of Plains, a student at James M. Coughlin High School;
- John Myers, son of Eric and Cyndi Myers of Scranton, a student at Scranton High School;
- Mitchell Fornwald, son of Rollin and Joy Fornwald of Bloomsburg, a student at Bloomsburg Area High School;
- David Wert, son of Timothy and Claire Wert of Wilkes-Barre, a student at Holy Redeemer High School;
- Matthew Schweitzer, son of Stephen and Debra Schweitzer of Lehighton, a student at Lehighton Area High School;
- Colin Carey, son of Craig and Jackie Carey of Old Forge, a student at Old Forge High School;
- Jonathan Strauss, son of Leonard and Greta Strauss of Lehighton, a student at Lehighton Area High School.
U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Aaron Cetnar, son of Lyle and Marcy Lynn Cetnar of Kunkletown, a student at Pleasant Valley High School;
- Haley McClain Hill, daughter of Todd and Tracy Sloan of Stroudsburg, a student at Stroudsburg High School;
- John Wathen IV, son of John and Patricia Wathen of Stroudsburg, a student at Pleasant Valley High School;
- Ethan Thomas, son of Todd and Rose Thomas of Hollenback, a student at Berwick Area High School;
- Caleb Muscavage, son of Christopher and Susan Muscavage of Lehighton, a student at Palmerton Area High School.
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y.
- Alex Shiber, son of Louis and Roxann Shiber of Bloomsburg, a student at Central Columbia High School;
- Sean Clarke, son of Aidan Clark and Annemarie Butler-Clark of East Stroudsburg, a student at Stroudsburg High School;
- Luke Kurelja, son of John and Jackie Kurelja of Bloomsburg, a student at Bloomsburg Area High School.
Read more: http://www.timesleader.com/stories/Barletta-nominates-25-area-students-to-US-service-academies,240670