The Toomey for Senate campaign today released a new television ad titled “Work Hard” that will air in markets across Pennsylvania. It contrasts Senator Toomey’s successful efforts to create more jobs and his opposition to the Wall Street bailouts with McGinty’s extreme liberal economic agenda that pushed for higher taxes on all income levels, fewer Pennsylvania energy jobs, and even citizenship for illegal immigrants that makes them eligible for welfare benefits.
“Senator Toomey has a strong record of reaching across the aisle to create more quality jobs for Pennsylvania’s middle-class families and putting the taxpayers first,” said Toomey for Senate spokesman Ted Kwong. “Katie McGinty’s record couldn’t be more different — her extreme liberal agenda would slam the middle class with higher taxes and fewer jobs, and even give citizenship to illegal immigrants, making them eligible for taxpayer-funded welfare benefits.”
To watch “Work Hard,” click here.
“WORK HARD” SCRIPT:
SEN. PAT TOOMEY: I’m Pat Toomey and I approved this message.
ANNOUNCER: Who looks out for the middle class? Pat Toomey.
He created good American jobs and led the fight against the Wall Street bailout.
Katie McGinty’s liberal agenda?
Higher taxes on every Pennsylvanian, fewer natural gas jobs, citizenship for illegal immigrants, making them eligible for welfare.
You work hard for a living. Katie McGinty would make it harder.
TOOMEY LED SUCCESSFUL EFFORTS TO CREATE MORE AMERICAN JOBS
Pat Toomey Coauthored And Secured Passage Of The JOBS Act. “Consider the Jumpstart Our Business Startups or JOBS Act, singed into law last week. JOBS is a six-bill package that eases Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulations enough to let small- to medium-size businesses secure the capital they need to expand and, eventually, create more jobs…Three of the six pieces were Toomey’s, and, notably, each of his bills had a Democratic cosponsor.” (Kevin Ferris, “The bipartisan Pat Toomey,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, 4/15/12)
- As Of April 2015, Over 450 Businesses Have Used The JOBS Act To Go Public. “About 82,000 jobs have been added by the 454 U.S. companies that completed initial public offerings under the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act, an increase of roughly 30% from their pre-IPO head counts, according to public filings analyzed by The Wall Street Journal.” (Telis Demos and Josh Zumbrun, “How Many Jobs Did 2012 IPO Act Create? Hard to Tell,” The Wall Street Journal, 4/2/15)
- President Obama: Will Help Businesses Across The Country “Grow And Hire Faster.” “The JOBS Act will allow Main Street small businesses and high-growth enterprises to raise capital from investors more efficiently, allowing small and young firms across the country to grow and hire faster.” (“President Obama To Sign Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act,” The White House, 4/5/12)
Pat Toomey Modified The America’s Cup Act To Allow Ships Capable Of Carrying Natural Gas Liquids To Service A Potential Marcus Hook Export Facility On The Site Of The Refinery. “At the behest of U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey and U.S. Rep. Pat Meehan, both Republicans, the America’s Cup legislation was amended to allow three foreign-flagged tankers to work in the Philadelphia area for Sunoco Inc. The massive tankers are the linchpin of Sunoco’s Mariner East project, which the Philadelphia refiner announced last year. The aim is to transport a liquid by-product of Marcellus Shale natural gas to industrial customers on the Gulf Coast.” (Andrew Maykuth, “America’s Cup legislation amendment to let foreign tankers sail for Sunoco,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, 11/8/11)
- This Project Has Currently Created Thousands Of Temporary Construction Jobs, 150 Permanent Jobs, And Is Projected To Create 300 To 400 Permanent Jobs In Total. “Philadelphia-based Econsult Solutions, Inc. today released an economic impact study that finds the Sunoco Logistics (NYSE: SXL) Mariner East projects are expected to add up to $4.2 billion to Pennsylvania’s economy, supporting more than 30,000 jobs during the construction period and approximately 300-400 permanent jobs.” (“Sunoco Logistics Mariner East Economic Impact Report,” Econsult Solutions, 2/5/15)
As A Former Small Business Owner Himself, Pat Toomey Knows How To Create Jobs. “In 1991, Toomey moved to Allentown, Pa., and spent the next several years helping his brothers build the Rookie’s sports bar and restaurant chain, under Toomey Enterprises Inc.” (Mallie Jane Kim, “10 Things You Didn’t Know About Pat Toomey,” U.S. News & World Report, 11/15/10)
TOOMEY LED OPPOSITION TO THE WALL STREET BAILOUTS
Pat Toomey Repeatedly And Adamantly Opposed The Wall Street Bailouts. “The Treasury’s bailout proposal will likely cause more harm than good. Instead of launching the largest government bailout since the Depression, the government should be implementing policies to stimulate the economy.” (Press release, “Club for Growth Condemns Federal Bailout,” 09/22/08)
- “Such a large takeover by the government will surely be accompanied by adverse, unintended consequences,” said Pat Toomey, president of the Club for Growth, a conservative advocacy group. “Already, other companies and industries are lining up at government’s door asking for their own bailout.” (Patrice Hill, “Student, car debt quietly added to bailout plan,” The Washington Times, 9/23/08)
- “The bailout plan is fundamentally unfair to American taxpayers and responsible borrowers and lenders. The bailout misallocates capital, risks massive inflation, invites political manipulation, and sets a bad precedent for future bailouts down the road. Already we are witnessing other industries lining up for their share of the government’s handouts.” (Press Release, “Club for Growth Statement on President Bush Speech,” 09/24/08)
- “Socializing economic risks comes at a great cost to the American economy by misallocating capital, inviting political manipulation and putting taxpayers on the hook for possibly a trillion dollars,” said Club for Growth President Pat Toomey. “Such a large takeover by the government will surely be accompanied by adverse, unintended consequences.” (Lisa Lerer, “Bailout critics say they’re losing,” Politico, 9/24/08)
Pat Toomey Has Introduced Legislation That Would End “Too Big To Fail” And Ensure The Taxpayers Are No Longer On The Hook For Bailing Out Large Financial Institutions. “Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) is working to protect taxpayers from being forced to again bail out failed banks and other financial institutions. Sen. Toomey and Sen. Cornyn (R.Tx.) introduced the Taxpayer Protection and Responsible Resolution Act which would replace a federal bailout program with a new bankruptcy process.” (Press Release, “Toomey Seeks to End Taxpayer Bailouts of Financial Institutions,” 7/23/15)
- “The proposed new bankruptcy-code section, Chapter 14, explicitly bars taxpayer financing for failing banks.” (Patrick Brennan, “Toomey Tackles TBTF,” National Review, 12/19/13)
- “Private-sector bankruptcy…avoids Title II’s cost to taxpayers and its coercive and arbitrary nature, which allows the FDIC, the federal government’s bank insurer, to set the terms of a bank’s liquidation outside the bankruptcy code.” (Patrick Brennan, “Toomey Tackles TBTF,” National Review, 12/19/13)
In 2012, Pat Toomey Led The Successful Effort To End A Bailout Program For Banks And Their Wealthiest Customers That Put Taxpayers On The Hook For Up To Another $1.4 Trillion. “U.S. Senator Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) today defeated the extension of a 2008 emergency bailout program for banks and their wealthiest customers by raising a budget point of order on the Senate floor.” (Press Release, “Sen. Toomey Leads Successful Effort To Defeat Extension of Bank Bailout,” 12/13/12)
- “Extending TAG would keep an estimated $1.4 trillion ensured by the government.” (Ramsey Cox, “Senate fails to advance bill extending banks’ transaction account guarantee,” The Hill, 12/13/12)
- “FDIC data make clear that the giant banks hold most TAG deposits and more TAG assets as a percentage of their overall deposits.” (“The Latest Big Bank Bailout,” The Wall Street Journal, 8/8/12)
MCGINTY CHAMPIONED HIGHER TAXES ON EVERY PENNSYLVANIAN
McGinty Championed An Enormous Tax-And-Spend Budget Proposal In Pennsylvania. “With the delivery of Gov. Tom Wolf’s budget proposals to legislators and committee heads on Wednesday, Chief of Staff Kathleen McGinty stumped for his proposals and downplayed criticisms.” (Christian Alexandersen, “Gov. Tom Wolf’s chief of staff promotes budget proposals,” The Patriot-News, 3/11/15)
The Wolf-McGinty Budget Proposal Would Have Increased Taxes On All Pennsylvania Families. “But a new report by the Legislature’s nonpartisan Independent Fiscal Office casts a pall over Wolf’s claims. The IFO report, issued Thursday, shows taxes would rise across all income brackets, with those earning more paying more.” (Steve Esack, “Taxes would rise across all income levels under Gov. Tom Wolf’s budget, report says,” The Morning Call, 4/15/15)
- The 2015 McGinty-Wolf Budget Was The Largest Proposed Tax Increase In The Country. It Was Eight Times Bigger Than The Next Closest Proposal. (The Fiscal Survey of States, Table 21, National Association of State Budget Officers, Spring 2015)
MCGINTY’S POLICIES WOULD RESULT IN FEWER NATURAL GAS JOBS
As Gov. Wolf’s Chief Of Staff, Katie McGinty Pushed For Their Natural Gas Tax Proposal. “McGinty: Time for severance tax action.” (Robert Swift, “McGinty: Time for severance tax action,” Wilkes-Barre Citizen’s Voice, 5/19/15)
- “McGinty Was One Of The First Gubernatorial Candidates To Call For A Severance Tax On Natural Gas Drilling.” (Jordan Krom, “PA-Gov: Releases Two New Ads,” PoliticsPA, 4/15/14)
This Tax Could Have Costed Pennsylvania “Up To 18,000 Jobs Over The Next Decade.” “A recent economic analysis found that the administration’s severance tax proposal would cost Pennslyvania more than $20 billion in lost gross domestic product and up to 18,000 jobs over the next decade. More than 6,000 jobs would be lost as soon as 2016 – many of them well-paying supply chain and construction labor position.” (Gene Barr, “Testimony before the Environmental Resources and Energy Committee,” Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, 6/1/15)
- Many Of These Would Be Union Jobs. “Political agendas and differences aside, there could not be a worse time for an excessively higher energy tax…We know that Pennsylvania’s abundant natural gas resources aren’t going anywhere, but it’s the investment necessary to develop those resources that can, does and will move elsewhere if tax policies are enacted that discourage investment here. And while energy companies can move their dollars elsewhere, thousands of union families across our region don’t have that luxury.” (Local 66 IUOE Business Manager Jim Kunz, “Don’t kill our Pennsylvania shale,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 7/27/15)
MCGINTY WANTS TO GIVE CITIZENSHIP TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, MAKING THEM ELIGIBLE FOR WELFARE
Katie McGinty Supports A Path To Citizenship For Current Illegal Immigrants, Including The “Gang Of Eight” Legislation And President Obama’s Executive Actions:
- “All three support…a bipartisan immigration reform bill that passed the Senate in 2013 that would establish a path toward citizenship for an estimated 11 million immigrants living illegally in the United States; and Obama’s executive order in 2014 to allow up to 5 million immigrants living in the U.S. illegally — mainly the parents of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents — to work legally in the United States.” (Marc Levy, “Pennsylvania Senate candidates: Where the Democrats stand,” Associated Press, 4/2/16)
- “When asked about the sanctuary cities scuffle during an event in Philadelphia last week, McGinty told reporters ‘the issue here is immigration reform that’s needed’ and pointed out that in 2013, Toomey voted against a bill that would have overhauled the country’s immigration laws.” (Katie Colaneri, “U.S. Senate candidates McGinty, Toomey tangle over immigration policy,” Newsworks, 5/24/16)
- “Fetterman, McGinty, and Sestak support immigration reform, including a path to citizenship.” (Wallace McKelvey, “Everything you need to know about Tuesday’s hotly contested U.S. Senate race,” Penn Live, 4/22/16)
The “Gang Of Eight” Bill Would Have Made Current Illegal Immigrants Almost Immediately Eligible For The Earned Income Tax Credit. (Alexander Bolton, “Gang of Eight splits over tax credits for provisional immigrants,” The Hill, 5/20/13)
- The EITC Is One Of The Largest Federal Assistance Programs For Low-Income Families. “Earned income tax credits comprise the nation’s largest cash assistance program for low-income families after the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance, according to the Tax Policy Center.” (Alexander Bolton, “Gang of Eight splits over tax credits for provisional immigrants,” The Hill, 5/20/13)
- The EITC Is Refundable, Meaning Individuals Are Eligible To Receive Cash Even If They Did Not Have A Tax Liability. “The credit provides cash payments to lower-income households, even those that didn’t earn enough to pay income tax, and can be worth thousands of dollars.” (John D. McKinnon, “IRS Confirms Illegal Immigrant Tax-Refund Ruling, Sparking GOP Outcry,” The Wall Street Journal, 3/2/15)
- According To CBO, Increased Spending On Refundable Tax Credits As A Result Of The “Gang Of Eight” Bill Would Have Been $126.5 Billion In The First 10 Years And $391 Billion Over 20 Years. (“Cost Estimate: S. 744, Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act as passed by the Senate on June 27, 2013,” Congressional Budget Office, 7/3/13 and “Cost Estimate: S. 744, Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act as reported by the Senate Committee on the Judiciary on May 28, 2013, including the amendments made in the star print of June 6, 2013,” Congressional Budget Office, 6/18/13)
President Obama’s Administration Has Interpreted Such Action To Make Formerly Illegal Immigrants Eligible For Up To Three Years In Prior Benefits. “Eligible taxpayers could obtain the credit for as many as three prior years under the IRS interpretation…” (John D. McKinnon, “IRS Confirms Illegal Immigrant Tax-Refund Ruling, Sparking GOP Outcry,” The Wall Street Journal, 3/2/15)
- For Formerly Illegal Immigrants With Three Children, The EITC Could Be Worth As Much As $24,000 Over Four Years. “Some have correctly noted that for those with large families — having at least three qualifying children — the tax credits could amount to as much as $24,000 over four years.” (D’Angelo Gore, “‘Amnesty Bonuses’?,” FactCheck.org, 2/20/15)
- CBO estimated 2.1 million formerly illegal immigrants would receive $10.2 billion in EITC benefits. (“Cost Estimate: H.R. 240, An Act Making Appropriations for the Department of Homeland Security,” Congressional Budget Office, 1/29/15)
The “Gang Of Eight” Immigration Reform Would Have Provided A Path To Citizenship, Eventually Making Formerly Illegal Immigrants Eligible For All Traditional Welfare Programs.