TO: Interested Parties
FROM: Republican Party of Pennsylvania Communications Director Megan Sweeney
RE: Tom Wolf’s Special Interests Friends
In November of 2014, Pennsylvanians put their faith in historic Republican majorities in the state Senate and state House to bring fiscal commonsense to Harrisburg.
Today, Republicans kept their promises by passing a historic, on-time budget that increases our Commonwealth’s investment in education, fully funds human services, and does not raise a single tax on Pennsylvanians.
In addition, Republicans in the General Assembly are also working hard to the Governor a pension reform bill which tackles our public pension crisis as well as a definitive plan to finally get Pennsylvania out of the liquor business.
While the Governor Wolf contemplates a government shutdown or signing the budget, it’s important to take an opportunity to highlight some of Governor Wolf’s closest liberal special interests friends.
According to the Commonwealth Foundation, Governor Tom Wolf received more than $3.4 million from twelve different government unions that donated at least $5,000 to his campaign last year. In fact, four of Governor Wolf’s top ten overall campaign contributors were government unions.
Public Sector Union Contributions To Wolf Campaign
- PA Service Employees International Union * – $988,388
- Pennsylvania State Education Association – $800,000
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT) (National)* – $661,781
- American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) (National) – $500,000
- Philadelphia Federation of Teachers – $110,000
- PA State Corrections Officers Association – $100,000
- AFSCME Council 13* – $54,750
- AFT Pennsylvania – $27,500
- Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers – $25,500
- PA AFL-CIO – $7,650
- Scranton Federation of Teachers – $5,000
- Total – $3,460,569
*Includes in-kind contributions
Time is running out before the midnight deadline mandated by the Pennsylvania Constitution.
Will Governor Wolf stand on the side of the taxpayers, or will he side with his liberal special interest friends?